Green bean casserole has been one of my favorite dishes for years and years. But as much as I love the original recipe, it was v-e-r-y refreshing to find this recipe and put a new twist on the traditional green bean casserole. The sour cream, onions and cheese give the casserole a lot more taste and the crackers give it a nice touch – enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled buttery round crackers
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Add green beans, and stir to coat.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top. In a small bowl, toss together cracker crumbs and remaining butter, and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.
I can’t tell you how excited I was to find this recipe. Every holiday, whether it’s Christmas, New Years, Easter, Thanksgiving or any other, my mom and I wake up and slave away in the kitchen to make a delicious breakfast before the men wake up. This casserole is perfect because you throw the ingredients in the crock pot the night before and it’s ready to serve as soon as you wake up. It’s delicious and dummy proof, what more could you want from a recipe?
6-8 strips of bacon
1 onion peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 red or green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 (2 lb.) bag of frozen has browns
1 ½ cups shredded cheese
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp. dried dill
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Cook bacon till crisp, cool, then chop into ½ inch pieces, set aside. Saute onion, garlic and bell pepper for 5 minutes. Place 1/3 of frozen has browns in the bottom of crock pot. Add 1/3 bacon and 1/3 onion, garlic, pepper mixture and 1/3 cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
In a large bowl mix eggs, milk, dill, salt and pepper. Pour over ingredients in crock pot, cover and turn on low. Cook for 8-10 hours.